OJAI, Calif. – Fifth-seeded UTAH and seventh-seeded OREGON advanced to the second round of the Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship tournament after winning their team matches on Wednesday. Utah will take on No. 4 CALIFORNIA on Thursday at 11 a.m. PT while Oregon faces No. 3 STANFORD at 2 p.m. PT.
Utah opened up the day with a shutout, 4-0 victory over No. 8 Arizona, with Slim Hamza clinching the !nal point for the Utes in a 6-4, 6-1 singles victory over Kieran Thompson of Arizona. Hamza and Cedric Willems teamed up for doubles
play to defeat Wildcat duo Naoki Takeda and Sumeet Shinde, 8-6, to also clinch the doubles point for Utah after Ben Tasevac and Devin Lane defeated Arizona’s Mario Urquidi and Thompson, 8-2. Takeda retired his singles match and Ute Matt Cowley downed Wildcat Robin Chou, 6-1, 6-2, in the sixth slot to give Utah the three singles points needed to win the match.
Oregon had a tougher match later in the afternoon against Washington, securing the doubles point but requiring two three-set victories to clinch the match, 4-2. UW’s Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke knocked off the UO pairing of Robin Cambier and Kevin Farin on court one, but Oregon’s Daniel Sardu and Jayson Amos took the court three doubles win and teammates Daan Maasland and Joey Swaysland took the court two victory for the doubles point. Cambier and Amos defeated their singles opponents in straight sets, but Max Manthou and Vik Farkas picked up two singles victories for the Huskies to pressure the Ducks. Maasland fought back with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over UW’s Gal Hakak to clinch the !nal point for the Ducks in a 4-2 victory.
The Pac-12 Tennis Championships continue on Thursday with the two men’s second-round matches as well as the opening rounds of the women’s singles draw, which will be released later on Wednesday night.
No. 5 Utah def. No. 8 Arizona, 4-0
1. Slim Hamza/Cedric Willems (UTAH) def. Naoki Takeda/Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ), 8-6
2. Ben Tasevac/Devin Lane (UTAH) def. Mario Urquidi/Kieran Thompson (ARIZ), 8-2
3. Matt Dunn/Trevor James (UTAH) vs. Matt Cowley/Alejandro Medinilla (ARIZ), 5-5 un!nished
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. Kieran Thompson (ARIZ) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) vs. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) 6-0, 3-0 ret.
3. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) vs. Sumeet Shinde (UTAH) 6-4, 5-4 un!nished
4. Cedric Willems (UTAH) vs. Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) 7-6(4), 2-6, 2-0 un!nished
5. Will Kneale (ARIZ) vs. Devin Lane (UTAH) 7-5, 5-4 un!nished
6. Matt Cowley (UTAH) def. Robin Chou (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,6,1
No. 7 Oregon def. No. 6 Washington, 4-2
1. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (WASH) def. Robin Cambier/Kevin Farin (ORE), 8-5
2. Daan Maasland/Joey Swaysland (ORE) def. Vik Farkas/Max Manthou (WASH), 8-5
3. Daniel Sardu/Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Michael Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (WASH), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Robin Cambier (ORE) def. Emmett Egger (WASH), 6-4, 6-3
2. Max Manthou (WASH) def. Kevin Farin (ORE), 6-3, 7-5
3. Daan Maasland (ORE) def. Gal Hakak (WASH), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) vs. Jeff Hawke (WASH), 6-2, 3-6, 5-2 un!nished
5. Vik Farkas (WASH) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Rish Raman (WASH), 6-1, 6-4